Citizenship & Naturalization

At S&O, answering questions and helping our eligible clients to achieve United States citizenship is an important and exciting part of what we do. We can help you to determine your citizenship status. If one or both of your parents are citizens, you might be one too. If you are already a permanent resident, we can help you begin the naturalization process. Call us for a consultation and one of our Seattle immigration lawyers will evaluate your case and help you to determine your next steps to citizenship.

The Benefits of Citizenship

Although you may be living comfortably in the United States already, there are many benefits afforded to citizens that you may not currently be able to access. Citizens can vote in elections, hold public office, apply for certain government jobs and more easily help family members and relatives to come to the United States themselves. United States citizens can travel and even live in foreign countries without losing their immigration status or being denied reentry to the United States A citizen cannot lose his or her immigration status. Citizenship represents choice, opportunity and freedom. S&O can help you get there.

Acquired Citizenship

If your mother or father was a United States citizen at the time you were born, even if you were born in a foreign country, you may already be a United States citizen. Our attorneys can help you determine if this is the case and work with you to make sure you are receiving the benefits you deserve.

Derivative Citizenship

If you are a Lawful Permanent Resident whose mother or father became a naturalized citizen when you were under 18, you may have derived citizenship automatically through your parent. The attorney and staff at S&O can help you determine if you are already a citizen through derivative citizenship.

Passport or Certificate of Citizenship

Even if you did derive or acquire citizenship through one of your parents, you will still need a passport or certificate of citizenship to prove your status to authorities. S&O can help you obtain this important documentation. We can help you to decide which type of proof of citizenship make the most sense for you and also help to guide you through the application process so that you can get your important documentation as efficiently as possible.

Citizenship Through Veteran Status

If you served as a member of the United States military during an overseas conflict, such as the Persian Gulf War, or another time of hostility, like the Grenada Invasion or the post-9/11 clashes in the Middle East, you may be eligible for citizenship. United States citizenship is extended to veterans even if you have never been a Lawful Permanent Resident. Being a veteran has its benefits and you deserve to enjoy them. Call us today to discuss your options with one of our attorneys.