Deferred Action

For too long, many undocumented young people have been living under the shadow of deportation, unable to enter the work force, and with no path available to legalize their status. These talented immigrants are Americans in every way but on paper. Perhaps you are one of them. Finally there is hope: On June 15, 2012 the Obama Administration announced that it will make Deferred Action available to the undocumented youth of America.

A S&O immigration attorney can evaluate whether you qualify and help you apply. Call us today to begin the process of getting a work permit and a Social Security card.

What is Deferred Action?

Deferred Action is a temporary status—intended to be renewed every two years—that protects the immigrant from deportation and renders the person eligible for a work permit and a Social Security card.  Whether to grant deferred action is a discretionary determination of the immigration agencies.  Applications are normally submitted to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), but may be submitted to Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) for those who are currently in removal proceedings.

Deferred Action is not a pathway to citizenship or to permanent residency.  But it does provide some relief and hope to the undocumented, hard working youth of America.

Am I Eligible?

You are eligible for Deferred Action if you:

  • came to the United States under the age of sixteen;
  • have continuously resided in the United States for at least five years preceding June 15, 2012 and were present in the United States on June 15, 2012;
  • are currently in school, have graduated from high school, have obtained a general education development certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States;
  • have not been convicted of a felony offense, a significant misdemeanor offense, multiple misdemeanor offenses, or otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety; and
  • are not above the age of thirty

Work Authorization

Once you are granted Deferred Action you will finally be able to enter the work force openly and honestly.  You will no longer need to use fake documents or worry about criminal prosecution.  Contact a S&O immigration lawyer today to begin the process of obtaining Deferred Action, a work permit, and a real Social Security card.